If you wish to buy a tenor saxophone then there are a few factors that you need look upon. With so many varieties in the market, its impossible to test everyone before choosing the best tenor saxophone.
Nevertheless, to make your decision easier we have come up with something exciting things. Our team went for a hunt to sort out top 5 best tenor saxophones. For the same, they tested around 20 of them and then segregated the top ones as per the quality, customer review, and the professional’s recommendation.
Here are the top 5 best tenor saxophones available in the market.
Best Tenor Saxophone
The tenor saxes that we are going to mention below are best in performance, quality, features, playability, and durability. You will find them in different price ranges as we tried to fit in the budget-friendly and the high-end models both. So, let’s get started and have a look at the best tenor saxophones in the market.
1. Jean Paul USA TS-400 Tenor Saxophone – Best Tenor Saxophone For Beginners
- The Jean Paul Tenor Saxophone is in key of Bb
- Comes with robust contoured carrying case for ease of use transportation
- Beautiful yellow brass body construction with Lacquer finish. It features a beautiful yellow brass body, power forged...
Jean Paul is a reputed brand known for making quality musical instruments. This one from them is for anyone who is going to start playing the saxophone or is at the intermediate level.
In addition to all this, you will also get a robust carry case. You can carry it in your hand or wear it as a backpack. This makes easy for the beginners to go for their music lessons. Not only this, there is a comfortable soft neck strap too to let you wear it when performing or practicing.
Overall, its a best tenor saxophone under $1000 for beginners to become future musicians.
- Lacquer finish body
- Well-positioned power forged keys
- Comes with a lot of accessories
2. Selmer TS711 Prelude Tenor Saxophone – Best Tenor Sax For Intermediate
- Left-hand table key rocker mechanism with articulated C# adjusting screw
- High F# key
- Molded mouthpiece with cap and ligature
Selmer saxophones are very popular among intermediate and professional players. But this particular model is best for the intermediate saxophone players only as the professionals won’t feel satisfied with this.
Along with the instrument, you will get a neck strap, a case, a mouthpiece, cap, and ligature. However, the neck strap and carry case are not great. Prefer going for padded neckstraps for comfortable playing and especially if you play long tracks.
On the whole, a decently priced quality tenor saxophones for intermediate players to enjoy long hours of practice sessions.
- Lacquer finish body
- High F# key
- Comes with essential accessories
- Engraved bell
3. Yanagisawa T-991 Professional Tenor Saxophone – Best Tenor Saxophone For Professionals
- High F# key, Key of Bb
- Double-action low B and C keys
- Lacquered Brass or Black Lacquer
Yanagisawa T-991 is high-end professional tenor Saxophone. This saxophone is sure to please any professional player by its great sound and exceptional construction.
This particular saxophone is a piece of excellent craftsmanship with great playing features to let the musician create a unique tone.
Moving to the keys, its a key of Bb. The other keys are highly accurate F# keys and double action low C and B keys. All the keys are well placed and are extra smooth functioning. Interestingly, they require almost zero maintenance. You need to oil and clean the keys occasionally for keeping your saxophone as good as new.
On the whole, an excellent choice if you are looking for a high-end saxophone that will last you lifelong.
- High F# key
- Key of Bb
- Sturdy body
- Double-action C keys and low B
- Lacquered Brass or Black Lacquer handle engraving.
4. Yamaha YTS-82ZII Custom Z Tenor Saxophone – Best Customized Professional Tenor Saxophone
- YTS-82ZII Custom Z Tenor Saxophone Lacquered
- On the 10th Anniversary of their introduction, the Custom Z saxophones have been reexamined from neck to bell
- They now offer the ultimate combination of expressiveness, response and control while staying true to their...
Yamaha YTS-82ZII is a custom Z tenor saxophone. This design was made after evaluating the design from neck to the bell to remove any flaws.
The custom Z model carries a perfect blend of expressiveness, quick response, and accurate control for the accurate play. We found it a perfect piece of innovation and improvement in every aspect and that is why we have included it in our list.
The advanced Yamaha 82ZII has metal resonators for providing a wide dynamic range. The entire instrument gives a precise projection and an effortless playability throughout.
Lastly, it comes with a slim lightweight case that offers a superb protection and is travel-friendly too.
- Beautiful body
- Well-positioned quick response keys
- Comes in three different finish
5. Glory Black/Gold B Flat Tenor Saxophone – Best Tenor Saxophone Below $1000
- Whether you want to buy a saxophone for yourself or for your friends or others, this saxophone is a product of choice as...
- ?Bb with high F# key tenor sax
- Including: 10pc reeds(Size: 2.5), Pro-deluxe durable hard-shell case, mouthpiece, neck strap, Grease,Screwdriver,...
The Glory Black B tenor saxophone is a fabulous saxophone for any player. It is one of the hottest selling models on Amazon. People love it for its affordable price range, quality features, and decent sound.
Further, it has a compactable design and lightweight, it can be easily held by children and adult who want hone up their music skills. Along with the instrument, you will get 10 piece reeds, a hard shell case, a mouthpiece, a screwdriver, a cleaning cloth, a pair of gloves, and grease.
On the whole, it can be a good choice for people who want to buy something good and at a decent price.
- Bb with high F# key tenor sax
- Comes with a lot of accessories
- Hand engraved decoration
- Comes in five variety of finishing
Factors To Look For When Selecting Your Best Tenor Saxophone
For professional or intermediate users these points can be obvious but if you are a beginner read the factors before choosing one for yourself.
Make sure you finalize your budget, your skill level, and your need before choosing any one of them.
1. The Body
Tenor Saxophones can be bulky if they are not shaped in a way that matches your body type. For example, if you are children or a teenager buying heavy build saxophone would be a waste for you.
Additionally, you need to consider your comfort level. For beginners, it is recommended to go for lightweight sturdy tenor saxophones. Also look for the finishing, often you get a lacquer finish and which is considered good.
2. The Keys
Mostly the keys are made of mother pearl, brass, or nickel. If you get any other material disregard that option. Further, make sure the keys are well-placed and are smooth functioning too. This si essential for the playability.
3. The Rods
The rods are extremely important part of the best tenor saxophone. Go for good quality material as bad quality rods are flimsy and deteriorate faster with frequent use. Student tenor saxophones come with silver rods and gold body.
4. The Pads
Make sure whichever model you are using the pads should cover the holes. This is very essential for the student and intermediate models as closed holes offer easy playability. Further, the pads should be soft to touch.
Look for the features mentioned above. In our list, you will for sure get the above features and few additional features too because we made our list after considering these features as they are curcial for every tenor saxophones.
The tenor saxophones are a great instrument to play. They look great, work great, and are quite smooth to play. The only key is selecting the best tenor saxophones. That said all the tenor saxophones are meant for everybody. There is a distinction between the skill level and personal use.
So, look for the tenor saxophones that fit your skill set, your budget, your need, and play the way you wish them to play. We suggest you to go through the entire list read the review for all of them and then choose the best tenor saxophone for yourself. Till then, happy playing.